A building permit is required by the city to construct, enlarge, alter, repair or demolish a
structure or equipment installed in a building or to change the use of a building.
When do I need a Permit?
A permit is required for any substantial repairs, alterations, new buildings and additions.
Minor work (under $1000 in value) such as painting, wallpapering, carpeting and routine
maintenance typically do not need a permit. Permits are not required for installing a fence or putting up guttering. Questions about when a permit isneeded should be addressed to the Codes Department at 931-636-1422
WORK COMMENCING WITHOUT A PERMIT WILL BE CHARGED A
Who can get a Permit?
· A building permit can be obtained by the homeowner to do any building construction on
their own single family residence. This includes allowing someone to act as the contractor when
building a new home. If you choose to hire a contractor and the valuation (after
completion) of the project exceeds $24,999.99, the contractor must be licensed by the
State of TN as a general contractor with the appropriate classification and monetary
limit and workers compensation insurance.
· Additions to single family residences, duplexes, and triplexes whose valuation does not
exceed $24,999.99 can be performed by the owner or a State of TN licensed contractor
with the appropriate classification and monetary limit and workers compensation insurance.
· Repairs to single family residences, duplexes and triplexes whose valuation is $3,000 to
$24,999.99 must be performed by either a State of TN licensed general contractor or
State licensed Home Improvement contractor.
· Building construction for multi-family and commercial structures where the valuation is
less than $25,000.00 can be performed by the owner, an unlicensed contractor or a State
of TN licensed general contractor.
· All building construction for multi-family and commercial structures that exceeds
$25,000.00 MUST be performed by the appropriately licensed State of TN contractor.
· A sign permit is required for the erection or remodeling of all signs. Questions
regarding the sign permit process should be directed to the Codes Department, at 931-636-1422.